Monday, August 15, 2011

Poor Syd

A week or so ago we had a little scare with Sydnee. It lead to a trip to urgent care, to the ER, an appointment at her pediatrician, and two trips to the ENT. But let me start at the beginning...
On a Thursday morning the kids were upstairs playing and watching tv. Sydnee got on the tv stand and was blocking the show. Heaven forbid they can't see the tv, so Jaxson grabbed her and pulled her off the table (which of course she shouldn't have been on anyway!) She hit the ottoman when she fell, and was crying and very upset. I didn't think it could have been too bad since the ottoman is soft, and not a hard table or wall or anything.
After she calmed down, she took a nap. After her nap, I noticed her ear was real oozy and had blood coming from it. This alarmed me and I called a nurse. The office was closing, so she said we should go to urgent care. They were very concerned with blood from the ear. Sam took her to urgent, and once he started telling them she fell, they said they couldn't see her she should go to the ER. At this point I started being concerned. The fall couldn't have been that bad... is was a cushioned surface! But off to the ER they went.


Sydnee was a trooper waiting in the hospital and getting a CT scan. The scan showed no head trauma so they sent her home and said to watch her while she slept.
The next two days I watched her and checked her ear, and it continued to bleed and ooze. So I took her to her pediatrician. The pediatrician said it had nothing to do with the fall, it just ended up being a coincidence that it showed up on that day, and that she had a really bad swimmer's ear. Her ear was swollen so the doctor couldn't see it. She made us an emergency appointment with an ENT and the ENT cleaned it out, checked the infection, and gave us some medicine. So too many appointments, and too much money later, the ear drops cleared it up. All that work for peace of mind I suppose. And I guess I'm not surprised with all the swimming we've been doing!

2 comments:

Christiansen Clan said...

R u kidding me?!!! so scary!! Glad Sam's future wife is okay!!

The Holyoaks said...

Poor baby. :( I love reading your blog, Nat. I miss our good 'ol BYU days. You are such a great mom and have have such a beautiful family.