Wednesday, June 8, 2011

End of 3rd Grade

It's strange to think Griffin Elementary was such a scary new school 9 months ago. I was really worried when we moved her. Katy is known for having some of the best schools in the state, and with so many foreigners that live here, the competition is really steep. Throw on top of that the fact that 3rd grade is one of the hardest, with learning multiplication and division and taking state mandated test, and I knew this could be a tough year for Shaye, especially in a whole new place. But these things have a way of working themselves out. Shaye did excellent. She had almost all As on every report card each six weeks. I say almost, because she had an 88 and 89 in math a time or two, but so close! Math was the most challenging for her, but the teachers were so helpful. They really work with the kids here and get them the extra help when they need it. Shaye learned more this year than any other year. I would echo everybody else's statement that Katy Schools are top notch!


Most of the students in Shaye's class were also going through their first year in Katy. Being the Energy Corridor that we live in, there are tons of people coming and going all the time.


The last week, they had a celebration of learning. It's what they do instead of a class party, and much more interesting! The kids all read a poem they had written during the year in their poetry unit. Shaye recited her's from memory, and I was impressed with her poetry skills.


The kids received awards for various things, and they also gave out 1 award each. Here is Shaye reading the award she choose to give. "It goes to an excellent mom for Being the best mom and for loving and caring for me. " I was very touched! She is always so sweet, I won't pretend she gets it from me... she teaches me a lot.


And here she is accepting one of her awards. She received three - 1. Honor Roll all year. 2. Excellence in art (she drew a picture that was chosen to go to the fair) 3. The one the kids valued the most because their classmates voted on them - Most Fashionable. Which is a perfect choice for my little hip chick! Again, I won't pretend she gets it from me!


Shaye had a long term sub for the first 6 weeks because there were more 3rd grade students than they had classes for in the beginning. So while the administration searched for a new teacher, they continued with class as usual. And when they did bring in someone, it was Mrs. Hughes. Shaye loved her. She was fun, sweet, and fun of energy. Very positive and a great fit for Shaye.



So on to 4th grade she goes, which I can handle for now, but 5th grade?? That will be a different story.....!

No comments: